Monday 30 January 2012

gnu new


This is my new gnu blog. I like this suit-gnu.
I don't think this blog will be solely about gnus. Or news. But there might be a little bit of one or the other from time to time.
So today I learnt that a group of gnus is called an implausibility of gnus. I think that is quite fantastic. So fantastic it inspired me to start a blog! Well, not really, I was going to anyway, but now I have a title that makes me happy.
Something else I learnt about 2 minutes ago is the difference between learned and learnt:...... They are one and the same!
(I'm not sure if that's worthy of an exclaimation mark, but I'll put it there anyway, because I like exclaimation marks!)
Anyway, learned is more commonly used in American English, and learnt in British English. The same applies to spilled/spilt, burned/burnt, kneeled/knelt, leaped/leapt etc etc etc.

I need to practice writing because right now my ideas are jumping all over the place. While learning about implausibilities of gnus I found some other interesting animal group names:

- a congregation of alligators
- a coalition of cheetahs
- a cloud of bats
- a sleuth of bears
- an obstinancy of buffalos
- a nuisance of cats
- a murder of crows
- a business of ferrets
- a smack of jellyfish

... and many more that can be found here!

Oh, and while I'm thinking about animals, I was talking to my Australian housemate the other day and she had no idea what a stoat was.

Ok, I think that's it for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment